Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Who's Looking After My Heart?



I know I'm neither the first nor the last to have a heart that drives them crazy!!  Jeremiah describes my heart as dark and deceitful, perverse, corrupt and beyond cure . . . a puzzle no one can figure out.  It will take me down the wrong road every single time.  It will trip me up; it will lie to me; it will let me accept a slight veering off the path . . . until I'm deep in the weeds and can't find my way back.

And yet, when I try to correct, understand or master my own heart, I'm left feeling confused, stressed, and wondering if it's me or the whole rest of the world who's gone crazy.

Enter the One who will gladly lift that burden from my unable shoulders.

Today I'm believing God when He says:

I, God, search the heart and examine the mind.
I get to the heart of the human.
I get to the root of things.
I treat them as they really are, 
Not as they pretend to be
Jeremiah 17:10

I don't have to figure my heart out or correct it when it's wandering.  I can put that responsibility in God's hands.  "Search me, O God, and know my heart.  Try me and know my anxious thoughts."  He's got me figured out.  I am no surprise to Him.  I can trust Him to keep my scattered, willful and gullible heart going down the right path.  

Immense relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment